Thursday, December 3, 2009

An Idiots Introduction to Volleyball


I would like to be the first to admit that I know very little about the sport of volleyball. Is this unusual? Is it real popular? Of course, it is a rather bad thing for me to admit since I have spent the last three days working 4 games per day at the NAIA National Volleyball Championship in Sioux City, IA.
Maybe I do know more than I give myself credit for but before I started working the games last year, I had never attended a match. I am proud of myself that I am starting to pick up on the rules and am now very good at recognizing an amazing play. It helps that the quality of volleyball has been outstanding this week.
The biggest issue I have though is with some of the rules that involve the net. I am not sure I understand why some times they can touch the net and cross the white line and other times they can’t. Even more confusing is the signals the officials use when they make one of those calls. I decided it was time to end the confusing and use the internet to solve all of my questions.
After a quick Google search, I found my way to volleyball.com and was thrilled at what I found. At this wonderful site, I found everything from an officials signal chart to an explanation on the official score book. I was also able to finally find out what PAVO is since I keep hearing about it over and over again.
Even though I am a relative novice to the game, I will admit that I am very impressed by the ability of these athletes and the condition they must be in. I have never seen anyone other than a wrestler roll on the floor and be back on their feet ready for action that quickly. These women are ready to sacrifice their body by diving anywhere for a loose ball. I wish that some of the basketball teams I had coached over the years had been so aggressive. Now, if someone could just teach me the proper pronunciation of Libero, I would be all set.
When adding a photo, I was looking for one that your faithful blogger happened to be in but the only ones I am in, I am not able to use without purchasing. Sorry.

5 comments:

  1. Volleyball and football are two sports that I just do not understand. In my mind, they are just not as clearly cut as basketball and baseball. There are too many rules, and as you said, too many variations on those rules, for me to keep straight. I prefer basketball and baseball where the only variations come from the different referees your team sees throughout the season.

    I have to ask: as a newcomer to the sport of volleyball, how did you end up refereeing the NAIA National Volleyball Championship? I am not trying to insinuate that you didn’t know what you’re doing, but I know that in basketball you have to have several years of experience before they’ll let you get close to a tournament. Just another difference between the sports….

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volleyball is a very challenging sport that doesn’t get the credit it deserves. I attended a private school that didn’t have a big gym so they found other ways for the students to take physical education class. One of the ways was setting up a net outside and the students played volleyball. I can remember, even back then when I was in shape, coming into the school after playing the game and felt like I needed to take a nap.

    If that wasn’t hard enough when I lived in Florida they had beach volleyball tournaments. I tried playing ball in the sand one time. After 10 minutes I had to get a drink of water and take a break.

    Volleyball players definitely do not get enough credit for their sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have come to find that I really enjoy volleyball. Not just the spandex. But, when a team is really on the same page and going all out it is really fun to watch. Also, playing it is so much fun. Get a few people together and play a few games together and all of a sudden a couple hours have gone by. It is also a pretty good workout. I still don't understand every rule either but I am close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never played volleyball besides for fun, but I have picked up a lot about the sport just from watching games here at VCSU with my roommate, Margaret who is a former college volleyball player. I knew quite a bit about the sport before as I am one of those people that pick up sports very easily, but now I know so, so much more. By the way I can help you with how to pronounce libero.
    It is pronounced Lib-air-o .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I am not an official. I am only a scoreboard operator. I don't need to know everything that the officials know but I do have to have a pretty good understanding of what is going on. I am amazed at how much I have learved over the tournament.

    ReplyDelete